06 Sep Who Invented Homework and Why?
Who Invented Homework and Why? Interesting Historical Facts
Every student has come across the word ” homework” in their educational journey. Homework is a very interesting word, and the students have different types of feelings associated with this.
Word. Some students find this as an opportunity to improve their concepts learnt in the classroom, and other students find this spooky Word which is full of extra burden. Do you know that homework has been invented by someone and it was not prevalent since the very beginning? Yes, it is so that the idea of homework was created by someone, and since then, it has become famous and educational institutions have started using this as a means to improve the learning skills of students. Let us tell you about some interesting historical facts about who created homework, when was homework invented and how this homework was invented. In this blog, the main discussion point will be who invented homework and why this homework was created. Many historical facts will be discussed in this blog.
Interesting historical facts about homework
- History shows that the first mention of the homework is being observed in ancient Rome, and Romanian teacher Pliny the Younger is associated with the invention of the homework. For the very first time, this teacher asked his students to go to their homes and utilize their time to do some kind of oratory activities. This activity helped the students improve their oratory skills much faster, and people started practising at home to improve their speaking and other skills. However, by this time, the word “Homework” was not created, but this practice of improving skills at home started becoming popular.
- In the year 1095, Roberto Nevilis officially invented the word homework in the place Venice. Roberto Nevilis seemed to be unhappy with the performance of his student, and he started thinking about ways to improve the learning of their students. This was when he started giving homework to the students to learn to turn in the study material much faster. The credit for introducing the homework as a part of education is being received by this renowned teacher named Roberto Nevilis.
- Homework is the outcome of teachers wanting their students to perform better, and it can be observed that the homework begin almost at the same time when formal education was introduced. As formal education started in different parts of the world, this homework also started reading along with formal education. Significant improvements in the education system have been observed after the introduction of homework, and the quality of education improved with this.
Importance of homework at the present time
The importance of homework can be observed from ancient times, and history shows that homework has been used right from informal education to inculcate required skills and learning in the students. The importance of homework can be observed in the present times also, and the importance has increased with the inclusion of distance learning programs. Home education is also becoming popular due to the ongoing pandemic of covid-19, and it seems that homework and home learning is becoming a synonym for education now. Some of the benefits of homework and home learning are:
- Homework helps to revise the concepts started in the classroom setting, and repeating the important things said by the teacher helps to memorize and understand the relevant theories and concepts.
- Homework also helps to unleash the hidden talents of the students, and the student starts understanding about their own interests and likings about a particular subject that helps in choosing the right subject for higher education.
- Homework increases the concentration of the student, and also, students become discipline by completing the homework on time.
- Students can work on weak areas of their own comfort by sitting in their homes, and they can prepare themselves to give all the answers to the teachers in the classroom. This increases the self-confidence of the students.
- Scientists proved that in order to master anything, practice is required on a regular basis. Homework is the kind of practice that helps to memorize the material and improve the understandability of the concepts.
Who created homework?
Different types of homework such as learning the study material using the textbook, performing oral exercises from memorizing, memorizing the content, completing the written assignments, completing assignments in order to improve writing and creative skills, performing certain types of experiments and observations and many more types of homework at prevalent. Any type of homework hairs the common objectives of helping the students to improve their learning and memorizing skills. Students also start developing off work through the homework, and they can follow a proper disciplined routine which helps to make them understand the importance of time. The other skills that can only be developed when working independently and homework provide such an opportunity to the students.
You must be really happy to know about these interesting facts about the homework, and now you know that who invented homework. If you need any kind of help with your homework related to any subject, you can contact us at any time as our support team is available 24/7 to assist you with your homework. We have experts from all fields, and we provide quality homework help and guidance to the students.
Fill The Form – Get Assignment Help